Today the Eagles officially announced their initial 53-man roster. Here's a breakdown of players kept by position:
QB (3): Jalen Hurts, Nate Sudfeld, Carson Wentz
RB (3): Corey Clement, Miles Sanders, Boston Scott
WR (7): J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, John Hightower, DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Jalen Reagor, Greg Ward, Quez Watkins
TE (2): Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert
OL (8): Jack Driscoll, Nate Herbig, Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce, Jordan Mailata, Jason Peters, Matt Pryor, Isaac Seumalo
DE (6): Genard Avery, Derek Barnett, Vinny Curry, Brandon Graham, Josh Sweat, Casey Toohill
DT (4): Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, Malik Jackson, Hassan Ridgeway
LB (6): Shaun Bradley, T.J. Edwards, Nathan Gerry, Duke Riley, Alex Singleton, Davion Taylor
CB (5): Craig James, Cre'Von LeBlanc, Avonte Maddox, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Darius Slay
S (6): Marcus Epps, Rudy Ford, Rodney McLeod, Jalen Mills, Will Parks, K'Von Wallace
ST (3): Jake Elliott, Cameron Johnston, Rick Lovato
Some quick thoughts on the roster:
• Alshon Jeffery wasn't announced on the PUP list. That means there's a chance he could be ready to play within the first six games of the season
• There's no way the Eagles only keep two tight ends for Week 1. I think there's a good chance they'll bring back UDFA Noah Togiai, or maybe even find an upgrade on the waiver wire
• Starting now, teams can place an unlimited number of players on IR and have them return as early as three weeks after being placed on it. I think they'll bring back Prince Tega Wanogho once he clears waivers and then place him on IR as a stash for the future.
• I think the Eagles will also place Genard Avery on IR and let him heal from his knee injury. Maybe they'll bring back Joe Ostman or Shareef Miller while Avery goes on IR.
• I believe the Eagles will have six cornerbacks by next Sunday, so they'll keep an eye on who is being cut by other teams.
• Since Will Parks is supposed to miss 4-6 weeks, he is a likely candidate for the new IR system. Maybe they'll use that roster spot to add that sixth cornerback I mentioned earlier.