With the preseason getting underway for the Eagles Thursday night, they have unveiled the first (unofficial) depth chart to give fans a rough idea of where players stand in their respective position battles
*note: the depth chart is put together by the public relations staff, not the coaching staff
The most notable nuggets to take from this depth chart:
• Cody Kessler is listed above Clayton Thorson, who the Eagles spent a 5th round draft pick on this offseason.
• Darren Sproles is the 3rd running back and Corey Clement is fourth. Most would assume Sproles would be used more in the passing game, but it is a little bit of a surprise that he could be used more in the running game than Clement.
• Zach Brown is the starting linebacker next to Nigel Bradham on the outside.
• The listed starting cornerbacks are Avonte Maddox and Ronald Darby, so it looks like Sidney Jones would cover the slot.
• Tre Sullivan is listed ahead of Blake Countess as the backup safety to Malcolm Jenkins.
• Miles Sanders is listed as the lead kick returner, with Corey Clement as his backup.
• Even though DeSean Jackson is back, Sproles holds onto the lead punt returner role.
The depth chart is sure to evolve a bit as the preseason goes on, but we at least have an idea of what to expect as the Eagles take the field in two days.